Monday, December 1, 2008

Sorry, I'm allergic


I haven't posted this pic before because it just looks very sad. Anyway, Here's the story. About 3 weeks ago (or maybe 4 or 5) Makayla had an allergic reaction to something (we still aren't sure what it was that day). She had the reaction about 7:30 PM, and her eyes and ears swelled up like Will Smith on Hitch. This pic was taken about 12 hours and 3 doses of Benadryl later. As you can see her eyes were still quite swollen, but her ears were back to normal. It has taken us this long to get her allergy test back. I certainly hope that the test results were wrong. I don't want her to be the kid at a birthday party sitting there in her cute little party hat watching her friends eat cake and ice cream while she drinks her little cup of rice milk. That just doesn't seem fair to me. I don't want her to have to go through her life checking food labels. We don't have food allergies in the family. Makayla's Aunt Melissa had some when she was younger that she outgrew, but Nathan and I have none. Nathan is the only person that I know with no seasonal allergies at all. Here is Makayla's list which will help you understand the birthday party scenario.
Severe
Peanuts
Milk
Moderate
Eggs
Soy
How sad for her. I went to Wal-Mart to see if I could find something for her to eat other than fruits and veggies, but I couldn't find anything. Not even the organic crackers that we buy for her are okay because they have milk, soy, and eggs in them. She has to drink rice milk because she is apparently allergic to milk and soy. I called Wild Oats (a huge natural foods store) in Little Rock to see if they had some products that would work for her. The guy on the phone was so kind and sympathetic. He said that they did not have a huge selection, but we would find more there than we would anywhere else. He even said that if I have trouble finding things that I could page him, and he would help me find things that she could eat.
Photobucket

5 comments:

Jen said...

Yes I do believe you need to have an Epi. shot on hand

Katy Hill said...

Bummer! There is a whole section of organic, whole foods at Kroger. You might check there for more food options.

McLeodx5 said...

bummer for you all. :( and that picture IS sad. poor baby!

Anonymous said...

Amanda,
If the test results are correct, Makayla is young enough to adjust to her diet and have it become a part of her life. I agree that it doesn't seem fair to not be able to eat cake and ice cream while her friends are eating it, but I have been there many times and she will make it OK. My prayers are with Makayla and you and Nathan as you make this adjustment.
Aunt Connie

Beth said...

Poor baby! It is always helpful to know what the cause of those poor little eyes is! I just wanted to kiss that sad little face!

">