Friday, April 4, 2008

Tornado update

We are officially building a safe room in our next house. We took cover in our bathtub and covered ourselves with pillows. Makayla was in a sling on my chest and I held her really tight. We heard the "freight train" noise that I have been told was the sound of a tornado, and we felt a sudden suction and heard a pop. We actually felt our bathtub contract due to the suction. A minute or two later Holly (friend from sunday school that lives 2 doors down) called to ask if we were ok. I told her that we were, and they said that they were fine, too. I asked her if it was over, and she said that she thought that it had passed. Makayla did great until after the suction and then started to cry. I would assume that her ears popped because mine did. We are all fine though, luckily.

Our house has some damage. Our garage was sucked in, so we can't get our cars out. Our roof was also taken off above our garage. At least it was not taken off above the actual house. The stuff in our attic may get ruined because we can not pull the ladder down to unload it, but there is nothing very sentimental in there. Looks like Nathan got out of work tomorrow. The situation is less than desireable, but I am sure that he is glad that he gets to play hookey:) We were very lucky. Only our house and our neighbors house had major damage. All other homes had only minor damage like fence damage and minor roof damage. Most of the neighbors were out in the storm helping us and Anthony (next door neighbor) get our roofs covered with tarps. They may not hold up, but at least we did what we could to prevent the water from coming into our attic.

I posted the previous post before while we were just watching the storm on the weather. I have had to take cover numerous times, but I think this is my first actual tornado. Unfortunately, Makayla got her first experience early. I think that she actually got scared, too. I am sure that she just knew that we were both scared.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

I agree, a safe room would be worth it!! You just never know. I hate that you guys have some damage but am SO glad that you are ok! ~K.Steelman

Katy Hill said...

So glad to hear you guys are okay. If there's anything we can do, let us know. I think a safe room sounds good, too!

">